Thursday, July 28, 2011

mama got some new threads

as i've lost weight, i've bought just a few items here and there as my own wardrobe has dwindled, trying my best to have as much tailored as was worth it. in the process, i've gotten so much pleasure out of donating my clothes - many of them in excellent condition and of high quality - to women in need, especially with the understanding that plus size clothes are often the most in demand in low income households for reasons pretty easy to understand - specialty stores are generally less accessible, hand-me-downs don't often work when the receiver is a size 30 or 32 like i was. so it brings me a lot of happiness to distribute those items around. sidenote...i have a friend who works for the city, and right before thanksgiving a few years ago, she called me very sensitively asking for clothes for a woman who was fleeing an abusive situation. i was the only person my friend knew whose clothes might fit this woman. for one of the only moments in my life, i felt blessed to be the size i was that day, if only to be able to help that woman.

but i digress...bottom line, i needed some new clothes. i'm so loathe to spend money on things right now, knowing that very quickly they'll be too big, and too big means unflattering i'm quickly learning. at this point, things that are maybe a tad small are actually more flattering than things that are a tad too big, perhaps because they show my smaller size more accurately than anything drapey or droopy does. but mitchell encouraged me to pick up a few items wisely, with coupons, on sale if need be, but to do it. i forced myself to, figuring i've been working very hard and deserve to feel good in what i'm wearing. i bought all but one item in a 14/16 (WHAT???) and it occurred to me that this might be one of my final trips to my trusty avenue that's been so convenient, right around the corner from my office all these years. good problem to have. where will i go now? i still feel like if i were to walk into the gap or a similarly "normal" store, the staff would be thinking "oh no, honey, we don't carry your size..."

here's what i got:

  
this top in both a deep navy and black, neither of which is shown online,  

this tee in black to wear under cardigans, jackets, etc. the sleeves are far too short to wear alone, but it was under $5 on clearance and i'll basically just treat it like a tank. also,

this cardigan in black which i really love. it was the only thing i got in an 18/20 because i liked the way it looked. i think i'm going to have my tailor add a little hook and eye closure to the front to make it more fitted, but the 14/16 didn't look as generous or as pretty on.


then i got this cardigan too, also in black, because it's a very different style than the other, and i truly feel like having two very different, lightweight black cardigans will make my wardrobe life a million times better right now.

today is a good day, and i have reason tomorrow will be too, since i won't have to argue with a closet full of ill-fitting, too bulky or not-quite-the-right-size garments.

1 comment:

  1. What a fun problem to have! I have some weight to lose, too. So far I'm down 15 pounds! So excited to be in a smaller size. Fortunately, I have all sizes in jeans, from losing weight several years ago and gaining it all back. Or maybe that's NOT so fortunate ;) I'm experimenting with vegetarian meals. I've been eating clean for the past couple months, and meat and milk and cheese and deep fat fried foods make me feel tired and sluggish. I'm not fully committed to becoming vegetarian, as I enjoy chicken and seafood, but I've cut way back on red meat. So far, it's working well. I've lost a size and my current jeans are loose in the thighs! The clothes you picked are beautiful, and I'm SO proud of you for sticking with this!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...