Thursday, October 6, 2011

pain in the butt

my behind hurts all the time. well, that's not fair to say. there are periods of time where it doesn't hurt, but mostly any time i sit, or when i get up from sitting it hurts. the obvious explanation is that there's less padding, and that is partially the case, but there are some other factors too.

aPPARently...this is a common complaint for people that spent many years being very overweight and then lost weight. it's not just the lack of padding, but also that all the years of having so much extra fat around the tailbone made it protrude, and now that there is no longer all that tissue, the bone is still protruding and there's no tissue to surround it, so it's exposed. something like that. and that's about what it feels like.

in the car, we have a wedge pillow like this that seems to, for the most part, make it pretty painless but it doesn't work on my home seats. it sinks or something. i have to look into some other options...apparently me and many others, this website would have me believe. so at home, i end up sitting on my hip or one butt cheek to avoid the pressure on my butt. and at work, it's never really been a problem until more recently, so now i use a cheerful little pillow to sit on. overall, it pretty much sucks. i used to love sitting upright on my bed on a weekend afternoon catching up on TV and it just doesn't have the same luster when i have to watch said TV on one butt cheek to avoid searing pain. but the most aggravating part of the discomfort is the one i feel - intense but short - when i stand up...i guess from all the compression and then the subsequent release.

the other factor that i have to say definitely has an impact is the loose skin in that area. when i'm seated, so much extra skin bunches up between my lower back and my butt and that also presses down on the top of my tailbone...can you picture this? would you want to?

i'm told by my surgeon's office that although there is no cure for this problem, nor does the tailbone ever go back in from its protrusion, people only seem to complain about it while they're still in transition and not once they're done losing weight. i guess it could be they just adapt and stop complaining, or maybe they learn to only sit in ways that take the pressure off. 

can you believe this problem?

3 comments:

  1. Couple of things I'd like to share with you.

    1- I'm addicted to Glamour, which is where I found you.

    2- That I don't even know you and I'm incredibly happy for you!

    My blog is a very similiar story to yours. I'm 22, and on January 5th of this year, I weighed 270lbs. Today, I am at 211 lbs. It's a daily battle, and a very intense mindset change, but it was something I desperately needed to do. I was gaining weight at an alarming rate, and I refused to inherit all of the medical problems that run in my family due to obesity.

    You mentioned in an older post that you had dreamed about sucking on candy only to realize that you couldn't eat it. Happens to me All. The. Time. I can't tell if my dreams are because my life revolved so much around food before, or if it is because so much of it now revolves around my change of diet.

    I am from a Southern Baptist family where Socialization = Food. I have to remind myself that just because I don't want to go out to eat with friends/family, it doesn't mean that I can't spend time with them.

    I work at a desk, and I 10000000000% understand the pain in the butt thing. I used to be able to sit at my desk for 12 hours at a time without hardly moving, but I am so uncomfortable in my chair now!

    Tell me if you understand this one:
    When I'm driving in my truck, my back hurts. Not my lower back, but my upper back, around my shoulders. My thoughts are that I used to have back fat rolls that propped my body up away from my seat in my truck, that now aren't there to cushion my body.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your story in Glamour, and it made me cry! I'm only about 30 pounds over my goal weight, but seeing your story made me much more motivated to get back on top of things and take care of myself like I should be. I have a feeling your true, raw story in a magazine like Glamour is going to hit home with so many women who are used to weight loss stories and plans with 100 lb. women in them saying how easy it is to lose weight. Thank you for giving real women a story to look at and have hope! You are awesome! And I wish you the best of luck continuing towards your goal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In trying to learn more about this condition, I found this link with some suggestions: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/4363997/WHAT-is-the-deal-with-the-tailbone/ Maybe one of these will help you as well. I have used chiropractic for years for neck and back issues. Maybe a good chiro could help with your problem as well. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...